English Language Institute (ELi) has come a long way since its very establishment in 2006 as English Language Centre (ELC). ELi, upgraded and rechristened as such in 2018, offers a number of English language courses, in addition to MA in TESOL Program, which got underway only this year, i.e., 2021. Strategic Planning at ELi pulls the entire institution together around a single game plan for execution and provides a broad outline on where resources will get allocated. It addresses critical performance issues and creates a right balance between what the institution is capable of doing vs. what the institution would like to do. It also covers a sufficient time period to close the performance gap. This Strategic Plan is visionary – conveying a desired future, and flexible – allowing and accommodating change, and is designed to guide decision making at all levels – operational, tactical, and individual.
This Strategic Plan is in due alignment with the Jazan University Strategic Plan and that of the Kingdom – Vision 2030. This sets the strategic directions for the Institute to realize its vision, and provides guidance and framework for its implementation. ELi carried out a survey amongst the leaders to comprehend its development history, accomplishments, and assess current challenges and the key issues that we face. In order to understand regional needs, employer expectations, and what the community sees as priorities for the institute, we also interviewed select external stakeholders. A representative sample survey of faculty and staff was also conducted to assess the ground realities. For this, an integrated SWOT analysis was developed to identify major strategic implications, which inform the development of the ELi Vision, Mission, and Strategic Goals.
This provides a means of establishing major directions for ELi as an institution. Through strategic planning, resources can be used in such a manner as to maximize benefits to stakeholders – students, employers, faculty, staff and society. This plan should chart the broad course for the entire institution for the years ahead. It is a process for ensuring that the institution follows a plan in order to deliver education in the best manner possible.
Strategic Action Plan
To implement various components of the Strategic Plan, ELi initiated work on a detailed Action Plan by early 2020. This development of actionable plans to support various goals under three strategic directions evolved around an integrated process defining ownership and capability. As an outcome of a thorough and rigorous process involving all the stakeholders, and taking into account expert opinions, this Action Plan, presents an in-depth roadmap as to how and by when to accomplish the intended goals.
Incidentally, the ELi Strategic Plan 2025 established some 8 Strategic Goals covering three Directions. It also proposed some Initiatives to achieve these goals. Drawing from best practices and examples from other institutes, a comprehensive and SMART Action Plan with specific target-oriented Initiatives for each Goal was developed. For a time-bound implementation of the Initiatives, it is important to assign responsibility at the micro-level and accountability at the macro-level for each one of these. This is in addition to a mandatory involvement of all the stakeholders throughout. For an efficient action plan, it is equally relevant to prioritize the Initiatives depending on their importance in achieving the ultimate goal. This Action Plan, therefore, outlines an Institute-wide strategy implementation structure with relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and aligning them all with JU Strategic Action Plan and NCAAA Standards.
- To make the best use of the Institute's existing infrastructure and to work on developing it in the future (University Goal JU01)
- To expand the Institute’s activities to become a distinguished academic institution, a resource for the University and the community, and a tool for continuous self-learning (University Goal JU10)
- To promote the professional development of faculty members in line with the directions of the University and the Institute (University Goal JU04)
- To adopt a language learning context that provides students and teachers with opportunities for improvement and innovation and for enhancing electronic and interactive teaching (University Goals JU02 & JU04)
- To encourage scientific research and publishing in distinguished scientific journals (University Goal JU07)
- To develop the electronic platforms of the Institute (media and educational) and to enrich them with materials supporting self-learning (University Goal JU02)
- To promote translation services for the community of Jazan University in particular, and to introduce new initiatives for active participation in community development (University Goals JU08, JU12 & JU05)
- To work towards obtaining local and/or international academic accreditation for the Institute and its programs (University Goal JU05)